Popular Posts

Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Heartburn

 One of those oddly inescapable problems that frequently accompany aging is heartburn. Although I didn't really deal with it growing up, it has started to crop up now that I'm in my thirties.



Heartburn is characterized by an unpleasant burning feeling that typically follows a meal, living up to its name. The esophageal sphincter is thought to have relaxed, allowing stomach acid to run back up into the esophagus and effectively burn the delicate membrane lining your throat.

Don’t eat or drink too late at night, especially heavy or rich foods. I know I can only drink water past about 8 pm, and I have to stop snacking even earlier. Two to three hours is a guideline for me, but that timing may be different for everyone and vary according to your own triggers. Your body needs time to digest your food before you lay down for the night.

Common triggers include fried and high-fat foods, chocolate, caffeine, soda, sugar, tomatoes, onions, and highly processed junk food. Cigarette smoke and alcohol can also be a problem. It’s best to avoid these at least two to three hours before bedtime…which leads me to the next tip.


Tags:Heartburn,high-fat foods,Cigarette,alcohol,

No comments:

Post a Comment